DAE Import/Export guide
Editor supports DAE files which can be generated from many popular 3D applications. Use these guidelines to help ensure the best results.
What do you want to export? - be aware of export scope e.g. meshes, cameras, lights, animation rigs, etc.
- Applications often let you export selected objects or a whole scene
- Make sure you are exporting only the objects you want to use from your scene by either exporting selected, or removing unwanted data from your scene.
- Good working practice often means keeping a working file with all lights, guides, control rigs etc. but only export the data you need with export selected, an export preset or even a custom scene exporter.
What do you need to include? - prepare your assets:
- Meshes - Remove construction history, Nurbs, Nurms, Subdiv surfaces must be converted to polygons - e.g. triangulate or quadrangulate
- Animation - Select the correct rig, check frame rate, animation length etc.
- Blend Shapes / Morphing - Make sure your Blendshapes (Maya) or Morph targets (Max) are assigned / set up the export mesh appropriately
- Textures - Make sure your textures are sourced already from your project or copied into a folder called \textures in your project
- Smoothing - Check if you want smoothing groups and/or smooth mesh
How do I include those elements? - check the DAE export settings
- Be aware of your settings in the export dialogue so that you know what to expect and can match up the dae settings In Editor.
- Check Animation / Deformations / Skins / Morphs as appropriate.
- Cameras and Lights are not currently imported in to Editor.
Will it work? - Verify your export
- Check your file size - do a sanity check on the file size (e.g. >10kb?).
- Re-import your DAE into a new scene in the 3D package you use to generate it - is it what you expected?
- DAE- Model is complete, Materials/Texture is applied and exported to .DAE properly.
- Drag the DAE file to the Editor projects folder (Project Data)
- Run Editor in the top right corner of the Assets window there will be an Import Model button click it.
- The Editor projects folder (Project Data) will open select the DAE file and click open
- Drag the generated mtmodel file into the setup node and simulate
Next: FBX Import and Export Guide